- Britz, P.J., Raemaekers, S., Sauer, W., and Markovina, M. 2010. Governance challenges facing African fisheries. Paper presented at the International Institute for Fisheries Economics and Trade 2010 France: Economics of fish resources and aquatic ecosystems: balancing uses, balancing costs. Montpelier, France, July 13-16, 2010.
- Hauck, M, L. van Sittert and S. Raemaekers. 2010. Power, history and inequity: the non-compliance of lobster fishers in a protected area in South Africa. Paper presented at the Small-scale Fisheries Congress, 18-22 October 2010, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Sowman, M, Sunde J and S. Raemaekers. 2010. Reincorporating the excluded in South Africa’s new small-scale fisheries policy: governance challenges. Paper presented at the Small-scale Fisheries Congress, 18-22 October 2010, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Wynberg, R. 2010. Emerging national legislation on access and benefit sharing (ABS): Barriers or opportunities? Invited presentation to The Beauty of Sourcing with Respect Conference, Union for Ethical Biotrade, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, France, 16 April 2010.
- Hamann, R., Pienaar, S., Kranz, N. and Schlamann, I. 2009. Assessing the effectiveness and accountability of different types of cross-sector partnerships in South Africa. International Sustainable Development Research Conference, 5-8 July 2009, Utrecht University, Netherlands.
- Hamann, R. 2009. Track chair for ‘Institutional mechanisms and collaboration for sustainable development’. International Sustainable Development Research Conference, 5-8 July 2009, Utrecht University, Netherlands.
- Hamann, R. 2009. Panel discussion on ‘What is our vision of the corporation of the future?’ at the Congress of the International Society for Business Ethics, Economics, and Ethics, 15 July 2008, Cape Town International Convention Centre, Cape Town.
- Hauck, M. 2009. Illegal fishing in a MPA: the struggle for customary rights in South Africa. Paper presented at the Norwegian Fisheries Forum, 18-19 March 2009, Oslo, Norway.
- Hauck, M. 2009. Small-scale fisheries compliance: From criminal justice to social justice. Paper presented at the International Association for the Study of the Commons Conference 20-22 Jan 2009, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Sinha, P., Akoorie, M., Hamann, R. and Marshall, S. 2009. Perceived institutional pressures in the global wine industry: A three country study of the adoption of environmental practices. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 7-11 August 2009, Chicago, United States.
- Sowman, M. and S. Williams. 2009. Customary rights versus conservation objectives in a changing policy environment in South Africa. Insights from two case studies. Paper presented at People and the Sea V Living with Uncertainty and Adapting to Change. Fifth International Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 8-11 July 2009.
- Van Niekerk, J. and Wynberg, R. 2009. Do rural communities benefit from the Pelargonium trade? Presentation to the Indigenous Plant Use Forum, 7 July, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Wynberg, R. 2009. First International Meeting on Biopiracy, French National Assembly, Paris, France, 13-15 June 2009, Chair of a session at the invitation of former French first lady Danielle Mitterand.
- Wynberg, R. 2009. Respecting customary rights and sharing fairly the benefits from Pelargonium use and trade. Presentation to the ISSC MAP stakeholder workshop on Pelargonium. Grahamstown, February 2009.
- Hamann, R. 2008. Opening spaces for the sociology of corporate responsibility. South African Sociology Association Congress, 7-10 July 2008, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch.
- Hamann, R. and Boulogne, F. 2008. Towards a typology for more effective evaluation and implementation of cross-sector partnerships. Congress of the International Society for Business Ethics, Economics, and Ethics, 15 July 2008, Cape Town International Convention Centre, Cape Town.
- Hamann, R. and Schild, C. 2008. Business and human rights in South Africa: Context and recommendations for proactive engagement by the National Business Initiative. Johannesburg: National Business Initiative. (Available via http://www.nbi.org.za.)
- Hamann, R. 2008. Assessing the contribution of business to collaborative local governance – keynote at Workshop on business and local governance – potentials and pitfalls. Freie Universitaet Berlin and UCT Graduate School of Business, 19 September 2008, Cape Town.
- Hamann, R. 2008. Business and human rights in South Africa. National Business Initiative, 5 September 2008, Johannesburg, South Africa (plus similar events in Cape Town and Durban).
- Hamann, R. 2008. Profiling and navigating CSR public policies in South Africa. Corporate social responsibility – who is responsible? United Nations Global Compact meeting, 11 April 2008, Midrand.
- Hamann, R. 2008. Business and human rights in South Africa. South African Human Rights and Business Conference (organised by the South African Human Rights Commission, the United Nations Commission on Human Rights, and the African Centre for Corporate Citizenship), 19 March 2008, Johannesburg.
- Laird, S. and Wynberg, R. 2008. Access and benefit-sharing in practice. Trends in partnerships across sectors. Presentation to a Press Conference for the Ninth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Bonn, Germany, May 2008.
- Marshall, S., Akoorie, M., Hamann, R. and Sinha, P. 2008. Environmental practices in three countries’ wine industries: An Empirical application of the theory of reasoned action and stakeholder theory. Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, 30 June – 3 July 2008, Milan, Italy.
- Sowman, M 2008. Small-scale fisheries governance in the countries adjacent to the Benguela Current Large Marine Ecosystem (BCLME). Invited speaker to present paper to Department of Fisheries and Conservation, University of Namibia.
- Sowman, M. 2008. Chair of Plenary and Parallel sessions and member of organising committee for Conference on Environmental Governance and Democracy: Institutions, Public Participation and Environmental Sustainability, Yale University, New Haven 10-11 May 2008.
- Wynberg, R and Laird, S. 2008. Access and benefit-sharing in practice. Trends in partnerships across sectors. World Conference on Aromatic and Medicinal Plants, International Convention Centre, Cape Town, November 2008.
- Wynberg, R. 2008. Environmental futures, sustainable development and environmental science: The next decade. Invited keynote address to celebrate a centenary of environmental science at Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa. August, 2008.
- Wynberg, R. 2008. Indigenous peoples, consent and benefit sharing. Lessons from the San-Hoodia case. Presentation to a side event at the Ninth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Bonn, Germany, 21 May 2008.
- Wynberg, R., Silveston, J. and Lombard, C. 2008. Value adding in the southern African natural products sector: How much do patents matter? World Conference on Aromatic and Medicinal Plants, International Convention Centre, Cape Town, November 2008.
- Carvalho, A., Williams, S., January, M. and M. Sowman. 2007. Community-based data monitoring: The importance of community participation in fisheries co-management in South Africa. Paper presented at People and the Sea IV. Who Owns the Coast? Fourth International Conference Centre for Marine Research (MARE) Amsterdam, Netherlands, 5-7 June 2007.
- Hamann, R. Business leadership for collaborative governance in Africa. Paper presented at African Corporate Governance Congress, 11 May 2007, Johannesburg.
- Hamann, R. 2007. Collaborative governance for Integrated Development Planning in South Africa. Danish Development Research Network Urban Environmental Management Workshop, 5 December 2007, Cape Town.
- Hamann, R. 2007. Public policy for CSR in South Africa. Conference on the CSR Navigator - Public Policies in Africa, the Americas, Asia and Europe, 22 October 2007, Berlin, Germany.
- Hamann, R. 2007. Success factors for partnerships. Workshop on delivering sustainable development: Partnerships in action: The SEED Initiative Annual Partnership Forum, 15 October 2007, Pretoria.
- Hauck, M. 2007. The abalone fishery in South Africa: the complex drivers fuelling an international illegal trade. Presentation to Centre for Environment and Development Studies Symposium, 24 May 2007, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Hauck, M. 2007. An analytical framework for understanding small-scale fisheries compliance in South Africa. Paper presented at the International Conference on People and the Sea IV: Who owns the coast?, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 5-7 July 2007.
- Sowman, M. and A. Duarte. 2007. Artisanal fisheries management in the BCLME: Overview and research results. Paper presented at Meeting of regional managers BCLME programme, Sea Point Aquarium, Sea Point, 24 July 2007.
- Sowman, M., Duarte, A. and C. Cullinan. 2007. Governance of artisanal fisheries in the Benguela Current Large Marine Ecosystem (BCLME). Paper presented at People and the Sea IV. Who Owns the Coast? Fourth International Conference Centre for Marine Research (MARE) Amsterdam, Netherlands, 5-7 June 2007.
- Wynberg, R. 2007. Learning from the San-Hoodia case. Presentation to ABS workshop on the Certificate of Origin/Source/Legal Provenance, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, March 2007.
- Wynberg, R. 2007. Pro-poor models of non-timber forest product commercialisation in southern Africa. Presentation to a workshop on value chain analysis, PLAAS, University of the Western Cape, August 2007.
- Wynberg, R. 2007. Legal frameworks for access and benefit sharing. Presentation to a Workshop to review ABS laws in SADC countries, Johannesburg, South Africa, February 2009.
- Halpaap, A., Sowman, M., Manez, G. and S. Lim. 2006. Public Participation in Air Quality Management Decision-making in South Africa. Paper presented at the National Association of Clean Air (NACA) Conference on Clean Air and Climate Change. 19-20 October 2006, East London, South Africa.
- Hamann, R. 2006. International academic symposium ‘Is corporate citizenship making a difference?’ 20-22 November 2006, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration, Accra, Ghana.
- Sowman, M. and R. Wynberg. 2006. Environmental sustainability and land reform in South Africa: A neglected dimension. Paper presented at conference on “Land, Memory, Reconstruction and Justice: Perspectives on Land Restitution in South Africa”, 13-15 September 2006. Houw Hoek Inn, South Africa.
- Wynberg, R. 2006. Biodiversity and social justice. Invited presentation to UCT Summer School course “Our future environment”, 23 January, 2006.
- Agostinho, D. and M. Sowman. 2005. An overview of the artisanal fisheries sector in Angola. Invited paper presented at the BCLME 2005 Highlights Symposium, 9-10 May 2005, Breakwater Lodge, Cape Town.
- Halpaap, A., Sowman, M. and G. Manez. 2005. Identifying lessons learnt from involving the public in environmental decision-making in South Africa: The case of the national environmental management: Air Quality Act. Paper presented at the conference of the National Association of Clean Air (NACA) Air Quality Management: A new beginning, Cape Town, 29-30 September 2005.
- Hauck, M. 2005. Guidelines for implementing coastal and fisheries co-management in South Africa. Paper presented at National Workshop on Coastal and Fisheries Co-management. Breakwater Lodge, 30-31 March 2005.
- January, M., Sowman, M. and Hector-Kannemeyer, R. 2005. Small-scale fisheries management in South Africa – The need to adopt a livelihoods approach. Paper presented at the Southern African Marine Science Symposium (SAMSS) conference, 4-7 July, Durban.
- Sowman M. 2005. Governance for sustainability: From rhetoric to practice. Invited paper presented at the Western Cape Conference on Sustainable Development, 19-22 June 2005, Cape Town International Convention Centre.
- Sowman M. 2005. Overview of co-management: Concepts and principles. Paper presented at National Workshop on Coastal and Fisheries Co-management. Breakwater Lodge, 30-31 March 2005.
- Wynberg, R. Access and benefit-sharing in South Africa: lessons learnt and key challenges for implementation of the Biodiversity Act. Presented at an experts workshop on access and benefit sharing, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria, January 2005
- Wynberg, R. Biodiversity, poverty and social justice. Invited presentation to the Western Cape Conference on Sustainable Development, hosted by the Provincial Department of Environment, June 2005.
- Wynberg, R. Pro-poor models of non-timber forest product commercialisation in southern Africa. Presented at the international symposium ‘A future beneath the trees’. An International Symposium on Non-Timber Forest Products, Rural Economic Development and Forest Conservation. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, August 2005.
- Wynberg, R. and Custers, R. Determining a fair price and equitable benefit for small-scale rooibos tea producers. Presented at a workshop on the pricing and costing of fair trade rooibos tea, September 2005, Clanwilliam.
- Hauck M and M Sowman. 2004. Coastal and fisheries co-management in South Africa. Paper presented at the International Workshop on Fisheries Co-Management: Lessons and Directions, 3-5 October 2004, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Sowman M. 2004. Implementation of the SADC protocol in small-scale fisheries in Angola, Namibia and South Africa. Invited paper presented at the Southern African Small-Scale Fisheries conference, 2-7 November 2004, Simonstown, South Africa.
- Sowman M. 2004. Re-tooling for sustainable development. Invited paper presented at the Johannesburg +2 Sustainable Development Conference, Sandton Convention Centre, 1-3 September 2004.
- Sowman M. 2002. The possibilities of co-management in South Africa. Paper presented at the International Symposium on the Transformation of the South African Fishing Industry: What happened with the new fisheries policy? 14-15 October 2002. School of Government, University of Western Cape, Cape Town.
- Shroyer, M. Jackalman, J. and D. Kilian. 1999. A Wilderness in an Urban Setting: Planning and Management of the Cape Peninsula National Park, Cape Town, South Africa, Personal, Societal and Ecological Values of Wilderness: Sixth World Wilderness Congress Proceedings on Research, Management and Allocation, Volume 2, USDA, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station.
- Sowman, M. Beaumont, J and Rankin, M. 1999. Obstacles to Implementation of a Co-management System in the Olifants River Harder Fishery, South Africa: An Update. Paper presented at the International Workshop on Fisheries Co-Management. 22-28 August 1999. Penang, Malaysia.
- Corcoran, B, Knowles, L, Ollis, D., Winter, K. and Burger, L. 1998. Artificial wetlands as compensatory mitigation: innovative tool or dangerous trade-off? IAIAsa'98 Conf. Proc.
- Fuggle RF. 1998. How effective are EIA's if the institutional structures into which they feed are defective? Two case studies from the Western Cape, South Africa, Proceedings 16th IAIA Annual Meeting, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Salo K, Sowman M and J Beaumont. 1998. Emerging co-management arrangements for the Olifants River Harder Fishery, South Africa. Report presented at the SEACAM-WIOMSA Workshop on ICZM projects - lessons learned, Zanzibar, 4-6 March 1998.
- Fuggle RF. 1996. Adapting Impact Assessment To New Contexts, Proceedings of the 16th IAIA Annual Meeting, Estoril, Portugal.
- Fuggle RF. 1996. Considering the Cumulative Environmental Impacts of Proposals in the Environmental Impact Assessment Process, Workshop at the 16th IAIA Annual Meeting, Estoril, Portugal.
- Fuggle RF. 1996. Integrated Environmental Management in South Africa: The Conceptual Underpinning's, In Wood C et al 1996, Involving People in the Management of Change Towards a Sustainable Future, International Association for Impact Assessment, pp. 61-68.
- Fuggle RF. 1996. Issues Trends and Practice in Training for Environmental Impact Assessment, Workshop at the 16th IAIA Annual Meeting, Estoril, Portugal.
- Lane, S. and Kilian, D. 1995. Towards the strategic use of environmental impact assessment in the Southern African Development Community countries. In: Wood, C., Wynberg, R. and Raimondo, J. (eds.), Impact Assessments: Involving People in the Management of Change Towards a Sustainable Future. Proceedings of the 15th Annual IAIA meeting, 26-30 June 1995, Durban, South Africa.
- Fuggle R. F. 1992. Integrated Environmental Management: the role of parks and recreation managers, 35th Congress of the Institute of Parks and Recreation Management (Southern Africa), George, September 1992
- Sowman M. and Robins N. 1991. Socio-Environmental problems associated with Informal Settlements in the Cape Coastal Zone. In: Coastal Zone 91, Proceedings from the Seventh Symposium on Coastal and Ocean Management, Long Beach California, July 8-12, 1991.
- Sowman M and P Morant. 1989. Recreational pressures in the South African coastal zone - Can we alleviate the problems? In: Coastal Zone 89, Proceedings of the Sixth Symposium on Coastal and Ocean Management Volume 6, Charleston, South Carolina, 11-14 July 1989.